Wednesday, November 20, 2013

CodyCam: Hide and Seek with Mr. Fox

One game we love to play with Cody is Hide-and-Seek. We have a few versions- either we hide from her and she has to find us, or we hide a toy that she has to find. It is a great way to work her little brain, and she loves to play.

Obviously, one of the first things I thought of when we got our new GoPro, was to attach it to Cody while playing Hide-and-Seek. This is the video I made of her playing Hide-and-Seek with her toy- Mr. Fox. Notice how many times she tries to cheat!!! What a sneaky little dog!




And here is the set up I used to make the Doggie Cam:
The CodyCam!

The CodyCam, on Cody!
We have a Julius K9 IDC harness that I'm in love with. I bought some velcro and attached one piece to the part of the harness that's on Cody's back, using duct tape (I will eventually sew it on, but I wanted to be sure it worked first). I then put the other sticky piece of velcro onto the bottom of a GoPro mount.  Rather than going through the trouble with using velcro, I could've just used the sticky GoPro mount and attached it directly to the harness, but I wanted my set up to be removable. Even though it's not large, I didn't want the mount to be permanently attached to Cody's running harness. I love velcro.
Duct tape (white) is currently holding the piece of velcro onto the harness
I also bought a front-facing helmet mount for the GoPro, so it would be up high enough over Cody's head, while still staying firmly attached. I then utilized the handle part of the Julius K9 harness to provide additional stability to the GoPro, by using more velcro pieces I had laying around the house (an old iPod armband). It may not be pretty, but it's relatively stable, considering it's on a dog!! It also doesn't slide off to the side very much- but the harness strap has to be relatively tight on Cody's stomach.
The front facing helmet mount gives the GoPro enough lift over Cody's head. The old iPod armband is giving it even more stability
Cody and the CodyCam
When she turns her head, the GoPro is still facing the front! This creates a really cool perspective that you can see in the video
Just enough height to go over Cody's head, while still recording her adorable ears. Don't worry Cody, you'll get plenty of treats!
Additionally, since the Julius K9 harness has velcro patches already on the side, I can do a side-mounting CodyCam:
A very un-amused model. Side mount on the Julius K9 harness
Side Mount. Be careful, though- dog may run into walls!! Luckily that GoPro is super durable! Here you can also see the velcro piece that I have duct taped to the top of the harness.

Unfortunately, Mr. Fox is no longer whole- but at least he had all of his limbs intact to make this video, before being disassembled in the front lawn. Thanks for the contribution, Mr. Fox!
Disemboweled Mr. Fox

2 comments:

  1. This is really great. We have a Julius K9 harness, too, and have been exploring options for a back-mounted Gopro. It would be really nice if Julius K9 came up with something official for Gopro use on their harnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Planning on doing something similar. Thinking about drilling a hole through the handle and attaching a tripod mount with a screw. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete