Thursday, June 26, 2014

Lost Creek Wilderness: Wigwam, Goose Creek, Hankins Pass, McCurdy Loop

My first solo backpacking trip


After our first backpacking adventure, I was hooked, and immediately bought a lighter weight backpack (and a few other things). Eager to test my newest gear, I wanted to head out to Lost Creek for a new adventure, but since Ryan has to work every other Saturday, I knew this meant I'd have to go alone. Rather than making me nervous, I actually looked forward to the challenge, but I would probably feel differently if I didn't have Cody the AdventureDog as my sidekick.

On Friday after work, I grabbed my pre-packed Exos Osprey (weighing only 17lbs, fully packed with a 3 person tent) and hit the road, driving the 1:50mins to the Wigwam trailhead. I found what looked like a perfect loop for a 2 night hike in the Lost Creek area: Park at Wigwam trailhead, hike in via Wigwam to Goose Creek, then do a loop via Goose Creek - Hankins Pass - Lake Park - McCurdy and back to Goose Creek. I was unsure of the exact distance, but I knew Cody and I would make it back to the car eventually (I packed an extra meal, just in case!). The drive from Golden to the trailhead was beautiful- I had never been in the area, and enjoyed the lovely meadows, as well as the interesting beauty of the recovering damage from the forest fires. 

Day 1: Wigwam Trailhead to Goose Creek. Total distance: 4.8 miles

At 6:30pm Cody and I were off. The trail followed a gorgeous creek in a canyon, with a lot of tree cover. The light was fading relatively quickly but we were moving as fast as possible to make it a decent ways before dark. After a few miles I was getting a little nervous that we hadn't hit the Goose Creek trail yet, but at 3.7 miles we finally saw the trailhead sign. Phew! 
Once on the Goose Creek trail, it started getting even darker, so after another mile I was pretty eager to find a camp site. As soon as I got out of the woods I found a wonderful meadow that had a nice spot under some trees, by some really awesome rocks. I set up camp with ease, while Cody guarded me from any animal that may have been lurking. Our total mileage for the night was 4.8 miles. I comfortably fell asleep in my VERY roomy tent, only to be awakened a few times by Cody trying to share my REI flash pad with me. There was an entire tent, but she just had to be on MY bed. So much for being a tough dog!


Campsite

Day 2: Goose Creek Trail -- Hankins Pass -- Lake Park -- McCurdy. Total distance: 19 miles

Cody decided to wake up at sunrise. That would be 5:30am. Lovely. We had a relaxing morning making breakfast and someone played fetch in the river by our tent (not me). And then we were off! After a brief climb that gave us some amazing views, there was a nice, long descent.
Cody loves sunrise- she thinks it makes for better pictures :)


One of the views from the highest point on the Goose Creek trail

At 2.12 miles we met up with the McCurdy trail, which is where my loop would end before heading back to the car the next day. We stayed on Goose Creek. In case you're curious, that means it's 5.9 miles from the Wigwam trailhead to where Goose Creek meets the McCurdy trail (I couldn't find this information anywhere else on the internet).


Descending down the trail was a ton of fun, and my pack felt so light that I was able to run for parts- when I wasn't taking pictures.



The rock formations are amazing in the Lost Creek Wilderness
As Cody and I continued on the Goose Creek trail in the early morning, we passed many amazing campsites and saw people enjoying their breakfasts and starting to head out for the day. There are so many cool areas to explore around this trail- it made me wish I was a rock climber! I also realized that my campsite, though cool, wasn't nearly as amazing as some of the other spots along the trail. 

We passed through green aspen forests and many rocky vistas. It was a perfect day.
So green

A rare lone aspen

She loves posing on rocks! 

Rocks rocks rocks
At around the 7 mile mark for the day, we came up on this beautiful river. I stopped to refill my water with my amazing Sawyer Water filter, while Cody enjoyed swimming after sticks. The temperature was climbing and I was very tempted to join her.






I was on the Goose Creek trail for 8.4 miles for the day, which is exactly what I expected. At the trailhead, the Hankins Pass trail intersects in an area where the forest is recovering from a wildfire. The contrast of bright green grass and budding flowers against the blackened trees was beautiful, in it's own way.


The second I started on the Hankins Pass trail, I stopped seeing anyone. This trail was still very well maintained, but clearly not as popular as Goose Creek. For the next 8 miles we only saw one other person. He was kind enough to tell me that I needed to fill up with water before taking the Lake Park trail, since there would be no more water for 5ish miles. Thanks stranger!

After a nice creekside lunch of tuna and mac and cheese, we began a climb that ended up being 8 miles long. Except for a few points right at the end it never felt steep- I just felt like I was kind of slow (which I was, I just didn't realize how much altitude I was gaining!).





The Hankins Pass Trail was 4.26 miles with 1,856 feet of gain (no loss). I decided to take the Lake Park trail next. This was the only tough part of the day. It was 1pm, the sun was blazing and the temperature was probably 80 degrees. This area also had a lot more exposure than anywhere else, so Cody was feeling the heat without any streams to cool off in. At a few points she actually would run ahead of me to find a shady spot, sit down and wait for me to catch up, then do that over again. Smart dog! Luckily I took enough water to share with her, but we had to take a few more breaks in order for her to cool off. I was happy to not be the one with a black fur coat!
Hiding in the shade
View from the top of Lake Park trail
We finally reached 11,548 feet and began to descend. Cody found a small patch of snow and was able to roll around in it and eat almost an entire snowbank. Rejuvenated, she ran on ahead of me, full of energy again. The climbing was not over, though- there were a few more ups and downs before we truly climbed down to meet the Brookside-McCurdy trail.  The Lake Park trail was 4.57 miles long with 1700 feet of gain and 900 feet of loss. 

After chatting with a few other hikers, Cody and I found this awesome aspen grove to set up camp. As I set up the tent, Cody stood guard. She is very good at her job :) When Ryan and I are together she is not nearly as vigilant. Because of our early start I was able to get 19 miles in and have my tent set up by 3pm. That made going to bed at 6:30pm perfectly reasonable, right?!


Vigilant Cody guards me as I read my kindle
Another awesome campsite view
Despite having hiked nearly 19 miles for the day, Cody still needed me to throw sticks for her. For a 7 year old dog she has a lot of energy!
Entertain me!
Pet me!


Day 3: McCurdy Trail -- Goose Creek Trail -- Wigwam Trail -- Car. Total distance: ~14 miles (garmin died)

Wake up was at sunrise once again, but since I went to sleep before 7pm I was very well rested. I also wear ear plugs- best thing ever! I wasn't quite as well rested as I could've been since I found myself trying to share both my sleeping pad AND sleeping bag with Cody. Those flash pads were not designed for 2 bodies, no matter how small they are!

The morning started off a lot colder than the previous day. Cody still managed to swim in as many creeks as she could find!

The views in the morning were simply spectacular



Since I had spent almost the entire previous day climbing, this day was a lot of descending. There were a few small climbs, but it was nearly 7 miles of all downhill. Also- did I mention this place is gorgeous??






I passed by so many more amazing campsites that I can't wait to come back just to find the most perfectly awesome campsite and stay there all weekend. 

My legs and back felt great the entire second day, even after 7.5 hours of hiking the previous day. Yeah for an awesome backpack and amazing gear!! 

From the campsite on the McCurdy trail I hiked another 7.54 miles to the McCurdy/Goose Creek junction. That means the McCurdy trail is about 8.8-9.3 miles long, with a little bit of that potentially part of the Brookside-McCurdy trail. After so much descending on the McCurdy trail, there was one more 1,100 foot climb back up Goose Creek


As the hike was nearing it's end, we enjoyed this meadow at the Goose Creek/Wigwam junction. I was once again tempted to join Cody in swimming, but snow melt is just SO cold!


After 3 more miles of downhill, Cody and I made it back to the car, tired and content. Daily mileage was around 14 miles (garmin died so I don't have the exact number). The total trip was around 38 miles total, which was a perfect amount for the weekend! 

I highly recommend the Lost Creek Wilderness. It is a perfect backpacking spot, especially for a beginner like me. 

Here is the garmin data, if interested:

Day 1:
Day 2:
Day 3:

@

9 comments:

  1. I love that you went backpacking by yourself! Now maybe I'm not so nervous about my first solo trip, heading to Desolation Wilderness here in California soon. Also, I appreciated your gear list and tent review in your earlier post, helped me narrow things down a bit. Keep up the good work, you are helping me plan my hiking itinerary for when I visit Colorado someday! Hugs to Cody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many places to explore here- the list is endless! I know there's a ton of amazing hiking in CA too. Have fun on your solo trip! The only other thing I had with me that made me feel safer was a knife and pepper spray in my pocket. Not that I needed it- Cody barked at every stranger out there, which is something she doesn't normally do (she's smart!).

      Delete
  2. Wow, way to make it look so easy. Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! Compared to running in the mountains, backpacking is easier- especially when I leave Ryan at home and get to go my own pace ;) We also bought ultralight gear to make it even easier, and every dropped ounces helps a ton! Just taking 2 lbs off by getting a lighter backpack made it 10x easier. Hope you and the pups are well (and Mike, too!!)

      Delete
  3. You did this hike in 3 days, 2 nights. Within your long day (19 miles) do you remember if there would be a place to stop and camp to cut that in half and make it a 4 day, 3 night trip?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! You say there were better places to camp than where you did, what were some of the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know precisely where they were now- sorry! Don't worry- everywhere was beautiful- I just like to find THE BEST place :)

      Delete
  5. would you recommend this hike you did or the first one you guys did together. I'm trying to plan 4day/3 night hike at the lost creek wilderness. do you recommend any loops? this one vs the first one you guys both went on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this hike was prettier, overall. For 3 nights it would be great- it was a lot of miles and a lot of climbing!

      Delete